Hello everyone, its been a while since I’ve blogged and today I’d like to discuss the reality that we web designers face today – free DIY websites. So a couple of these have been cropping up – a popular one is Wix, Blogger, WordPress.com. Here’s what they usually promise – build your own professional-looking website for absolutely free, no programming knowledge needed, no paying designers, no recurring hosting fees, FREE templates!
Sounds amazing! But what’s the catch?
Building your website for free on a platform like Wix comes at a price. Your website will be host to Wix’s advertisements. While your free site might not have cost you a cent, a pretty obvious stamp that tells people you got it done for absolutely nothing does cheapen it a bit.
This sticks to the bottom of the browser, on every page!
All of this will eventually affect your business or company’s professionalism and credibility. Will you be willing to engage a company, or proceed with an online transaction (a daunting task in itself) on a website that was built on a free platform?
- Domain name The worst thing about free website builders is that, unless you upgrade to their Premium plans, you will have to use their domain name yourname.wixsite.com. Nothing screams unprofessionalism than a wixsite.com address.
- Most features aren’t available until you upgrade to their Premium plans
They have to make money somehow right? Their free sites are essentially a demo to their actual product, which is all part of their Premium plans. Granted, that it is still quite affordable at around SGD$17/month and will roughly cost you about SGD$200/year. It is definitely a better option than shelling out a few thousand dollars on a professional designer to craft a personalized website for you, and I would actually recommend this option for people who aren’t yet confident to invest in their business or company and just need to test the waters a little bit.
- There is a little bit of a learning curve, but their website builder is pretty neat
Well, now that you aren’t paying someone to do all the technical bits for you, it’s up to you to learn how to use their website builder. I admit, it is pretty good for a free website but of course there are limitations to what you can do. You must be satisfied with whatever little you can change.
- Lack of personalization optionsThis is another issue that free web builders aren’t able to address. You’re extremely limited to what you can change. So if you wanted a specific change to the design, it might be impossible to make that change simply because you do not have access to the actual codes. You can only change what they allow you to change.
When should you hire a web designer then?
Wix sites are amazing for people who are just starting out on an idea or business, and not yet ready to invest too heavily yet. You get some basic features, and a free presence on the web for a small amount of money. But when and why should you hire?
- You do not have any design sense, and need someone to do it! Many of my clients have actually tried their hand at creating their own websites before engaging me to do it! What I hear most from them is “It is not professional enough. I’m not a designer.” Which is perfectly fine! Not everyone is born with a keen sense of colours, typography, typesetting and layout. It is amazing how very slight oddities to font, colour, spacing can break the whole design.
- You want to focus on your business, while someone handles the techy parts! Let’s face it. You’ll probably be making more money focusing on the core essence of the business or company, rather than fumbling with design, editing of content and maintenance of the website.
- You’re ready to take your business to a new level You’ve spent a few months on Facebook, your business is starting to get successful and you’re ready to launch a full blown website for a fresh online-presence. Having a website not only shows how professional your company or business is, but a website with a good design is sure to raise some eyebrows. Investing in a website also shows that you’re in for the long run.
- You understand the importance of design How does Apple sell overpriced MacBooks with half the specs of a PC laptop? Good design and marketing. Good design sells. Good design is able to shape your price. Good design is able to alter first impressions. That’s how important good design is.
In conclusion, free to build websites are great for those who are not too serious, or not willing to invest yet into their company or business. But a good website designed by a professional will definitely set you apart from your competitors. In this day an age, we’re almost always on our phones and the first thing we do when we check out a new business is to go to their website. That being said, it should be as great and impressive as your company is!